I thought it would be nice to break away from the traditional cake posts and share one of my favorite desserts to have during the fall. Pumpkin pie! This recipe is adapted from my grandmother’s cookbook. She would stew her own pumpkin to make her pumpkin pies. My version uses canned pumpkin and lower fat milk, but tastes just as good as hers did growing up.
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups 2% milk
¾ cup brown or granulated sugar
¼ Tsp. ginger
½ Tsp. salt
1 Tsp. cinnamon
Optional: whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix pumpkin with milk, sugar, beaten eggs, ginger, salt, cinnamon, and beat 2 minutes.
- Pour into pastry lined pie tin.
- Place in oven for fifteen minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake 45 minutes.
- Cool for 45 minutes before serving. Once cool, keep refrigerated.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.